Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thought of the day: Exit The Rough


One day while trying to golf, a member of my group, told me the secret to good golf. Keep it in the fairway. Hit it straight. My usual spot in the rough was a good metaphor. If you want to be good at something, focus on that thing, divert your talents and energies and focus on things straight ahead.Like golf, where sometimes we want to get more yardage, so we swing harder, usually that is when some of us get in trouble. That being said, once in the rough, how do we get out. I think a lot of people find themselves in this similar predicament, especially now. Times are tough, leadership is going sideways and we need some clear direction on how to get back in the fairway.

How do you get back in the Fairway. Set your goals. Shoot for the stars but know where you want to end up. 2) Have the passion to Bleed yourself dry for something. You want to get out of the rough, take a short iron and pitch your way out. Small little steps will get you moving at least in the right direction 3) Clear up Confusion. Why did I enter the rough. What adjustments can I now make, when I know where I want to go. 4) Focus on You. Go internal. No one can get you out of the rough. You must do it. Your caddy will help. He can point things out. If you are on a team, others may offer suggestions. Yet you have the club. It will be up to you.

Stay well, exit the rough and get back in the fairway. Peace

2 comments:

Joanne said...

As a long time golfer and one of your greatest fans Tim - you've nailed this one. Actually I felt like you wrote it for me! Coincidently this is the first time I visted your blog and website. As a real estate agent in Arizona this declining market challenges me daily to find the motivation to look ahead. Your inspirational words just put new focus on my plan for "today" - thank you! When things get tough, I'll just take some time and go hit that little white ball and re-energize. Thanks to your insightful words, I'll recognize my options when I find myself in the rough.

Unknown said...

TOT
it is nice to read you are still fighting the good fight and teaching.

I will purchase your book and review, altough i learned my greatest lessons about myself playing for you at FFU.

The struggles we shared and lessons i learned at FFU have propelled me in all facets of my life, I thank you for this tim.

I have achieved in business/family at young age what many believed was impossible especially for me as i seemed to always take the "road less traveled".

My investment firm is growing and we have prescence in most major western US markets.

I wish many times adn regret that i wasnt able to executed our initial vision at FFU. I lost balance/perspective, there are no excuses and we all had our chances.

I was sorry to hear how the some of the guys turned on u when thier careers ended in similar fashion

best to you and your family Tim

DG